I’m so excited to post about our most recent project, our herringbone headboard. We were able to create this fun look for just about $40. We utilized various stains we had on hand, which saved on cash. If you are planning to recreate this on a tight budget, ask around! I’m sure you know someone with some extra stain in their garage looking for a project. Here’s a list of the tools and supplies we used.
- Miter Saw
- Finish Nailer and compressor
- Hammer, Screws, Nails (to distress)
- Various Stains
- Chalk Line
- 1″x2″s (I used 3)
- 1″x1″ (around 40)
Since I wasn’t looking for a “perfect” look, I used the cheapest wood I could find which cost less than a dollar a stick.
To begin, I laid all of the wood out on top of a drop cloth, pulled out my hammer, and started attacking. That’s right, I wanted dents and dings galore! I used screws on their sides, and indented the wood by hitting them with a hammer. I indented nail heads into the wood, and used the hammer itself (both sides) to make indentations. After my wood took the beating, I stained each piece various colors using stains I had in the garage.
Once my wood was ready to go, we got out the chalk line and marked the perimeter vertical lines for our edge pieces, and the center vertical line for a guide when nailing. We were sure to check our top and bottom horizontal lines with a level, and chalk those out too. One can’t assume walls and ceilings are straight or level especially in older homes. We then nailed all of the perimeter pieces. We chose to make the sides about two inches wider on each side than our queen bed frame. Now we were ready to set up the miter saw (for 45 degree cuts), compressor, and nail gun. It was time to start cutting! Seth cut while I nailed. It went fairly quickly once we got in a groove. We started by cutting the edge of a 1″x1″ at a 45 degree angle. Then we put the board inside perimeters and marked it at the center line. Now to cut and nail. 🙂 We could measure the length beneath, or we could use the board above to measure the board that would fill in beneath by using the length of the bottom to measure the length of the top of the next board we cut. We chose the latter). We alternated sides as we went so that we were sure things fit properly. We used 1″x2″ boards randomly in a couple places throughout.
After the bottom was filled, it got easy for awhile. We continued using the same length as the first board cut until we got to the top where the boards get shorter again. Then we just repeated the process again until it was completely filled in.
There you have it! The whole process only took a few hours, and I’m really happy with how it turned out.
Now to finish painting! Ha!
Next I plan to make some side shelves with matching wood and copper piping. I want something a little less industrial than the galvanized piping, and I think copper will look great! So, stay tuned for that post!
I love owning a home because it allows me to let my creative juices flow without limit! If you live in the Colorado Springs area, and are interested in buying or building a home, call my husband! He loves serving families and individuals in our community by helping them find their perfect nest. Check him out on Facebook here. Thanks for reading!